Wednesday, January 3, 2007

I'll Mention His Name No More, Forever

2/10/04

Today, at 7am, I went to KHVH radio to participate in Greg Dunn’s weekly show, “Dunn with Debt.” I role played an actual bankruptcy interview with him on the air, using my real name, using real examples from my upcoming Chapter 7 BK. We inflated the credit card figures to some $27,000 against my own of some $8,000 to match his typical BK clients. I decided to use my own name in order to plug my website www.eroticstainedglass.com in exchange for going on the show and revealing that I was real and actually going through BK. Too, by revealing my name and going through the interview, some people might come to Greg, overcoming their own reluctance to get out from their crushing debt loads and do business with him. In a larger sense, by sharing my experience publicly, I gave largely of myself to others with the expectation I receive largely from others, as Sam put it. When one gives, one receives, like breathing out and breathing in. As my belief in the power of the universe grows, so does the return from the universe grow. I took a chance on embarrassing myself by going public with what is usually a very private event: BK. What drove me, however, was the chance that I could help others and that I could start marketing myself and my ideas without having to pay a financial price, like paying for advertising. I’m not real sure what will come of this effort but great things are in store, I think.

· Greg and I agreed that I should make this a series of appearances, in that I’ll come back just before my hearing date to go through the coaching he provides;

· I’ll be back after the hearing and review what happened;

· Then, we can pick up on the credit repair issues as they unfold; and,

· Finally, when that is done, report on the effects of that effort.

Each time, I can update my own history as I promote my business during each show, relating the BK, credit repair and such and their impact on my deal. I can talk about how BK freed me to pursue my interests by relieving me of having to pay off the cards. I can talk about how my credit report improved by having all the derogatory remarks were removed, permitting me to obtain credit, again, and how much more spending wise I had become. I can even see a paying speaking tour about my experiences unfolding: “How To Succeed In Spite Of Bankruptcy.”

Think of it: I will have filed twice (a mark of success by some measures) and built a thriving business despite that. I will find someone who loves me anyway and will be beside me as I succeed. I will live the life I’ve dreamed of and never again worry about financial situations. I can already feel a soft bathrobe around me and a hammock beneath me, slung on the wide lanai of my house. I can hear the gentle brook running through the house in a rock channel. I see the swaying palms and ferns in my garden and smell gardenias, mock orange and plumerias as their scents waft through every open window. I taste my fresh breakfast and sip my espresso coffee in the morning light. And, my view of the Pacific is astounding, unbroken by any other dwelling around, above or below me. My Paradise came to me, all because Greg invited me to reveal a part of myself and my doings that not even my close friends or family know about.

Yet, this is also tied in to my decision to begin marketing myself and my products on my own, rather than relying on anybody else. This weekend, when my shop owner made a fool of himself by hurling diatribes my way at the Building Industry Association (BIA) show, I realized that I could no longer be a part of his life. I woke up early Monday morning and decided on my plan:

· Collect what he owes me ($200 for the show and the hours spent on the assigned renovation);

· Advise him I will complete only the task ahead and collect for that;

· Accept no further work;

· Request he honor his offer to supply me with scrap glass for the gecko; and,

· Concentrate on marketing me.

The BIA show also told me that he had no intention of marketing Clear Shield there, as no demonstration equipment ever arrived, probably never being ordered. Additionally, no stained glass was ever on display, as he focused on incredibly expensive glass art for display and ran a slide show for people to look at. He also had me talking about cast glass and carved glass which I only learned about while at the show by listening to him and repeating what he said. I was thoroughly unprepared and embarrassed at my lack of knowledge. He said that he expected some $250,000 in Clear Shield bookings, for which I would receive $50,000 in commissions. Right… He hit my button—money—and lied to me. I was so easily taken in by my desperate situation. He never intended for me to sell anything because he never wanted me to. Oh, he said I would get 3% for any art piece sold and then, in the presence of Alan, said I would get $450 for selling Al’s $4500 funky piece (10% not 3%.) So, I said, “$450 for selling it? So, if I can get $500 for it, I still get the $450?” That did him into silence. He didn’t tell me I was to wear dress pants, didn’t tell me I was to be at the show early to handle the VIP’s, didn’t tell me much at all, except to complain that I wasn’t saying the right things about specific art pieces and had Alan lecture me. When I repeated to Alan what I had been saying to people, he agreed I was right all along, a fact I brought up to my shop owner immediately. The next day, he said I was doing really well. I asked him what he meant and he said I was explaining things well and had a real talent for talking to the public. Like I didn’t already know…

I will refuse his offer to learn about Nathan Allen Glass. He’ll want me to call on architects and contractors in the vain hope I can close a few deals far into the future. No thanks… I need to spread my wings. All he has done was allow me to use his shop to fabricate my erotic pieces, for which I paid him some $800 for supplies. He pointed out a newspaper clipping to contact a gallery for possible showing of my works in advance of my upcoming show, for which I made all the arrangements. From that clipping, I made the contact and later, through her, was invited to participate in “Gecko’s in Paradise,” submitting a design concept for a stained glass gecko as a fund raiser for Kapiolani Hospital. I set up and paid for my own web site and for listing it on all the major search engines. I did it all, including engaging the most prominent Hawaii artist, Duane Preble, to guide me, using my attendance in his 1967 UH class, Art 101, as a re-introduction to him. I’ve done it all by myself.

So, I move on. I’ve engaged Lei, his shop manager, to build my pieces when the orders come in. I have a framer ready. Packing and shipping are already set up. Payment methods are on the web site. The show is on for March 29th. My shirts are made. My copper sculptures are designed and one is in fabrication. All done by me…

I’ll mention him no more, forever.

Now, I will frame the show pieces, research the copper pipe and how to frame the fly swatter in it, build a better weaving loom, market my shirts and the various other arts I have so far produced.

Watch this space…

No comments: